Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Evolution of a Cake

It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

Recently, Benjamin became extremely enamored with the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. It's the one of the only cartoons he watches, and asks for it nearly every hour of the day. He knows all of the characters' names - not to mention the names of their pets. Basically, he loves everything about it.

So, when thinking of a theme for his cake, MMC was a logical choice. Only thing missing - my understanding of fondant. To help me, I called upon my friend Allison who took some basic classes and has started a cake business that has flourished. I zipped her an email, wanting to pick her brain about some ideas and tips for working with fondant. Little did I know what would emerge from that little email: 3 days of work, lots of learning, lots of watching and the most over-the-top, fabulous Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday cake I've ever seen!

The cake - shaped, filled, frosted, green layer of fondant

Allison/Cake Details/Addition of Yellow fondant

Completed Cake (Front & Back)

Detail Views

All in all, it was fun and turned out more amazing than I could have imagined but it was A LOT of work - much of which was done by Allison because she enjoys the process so much! If I'd done the cake, I would have been lucky if it even resembled MMC in any way. So, I must give props (and endless thanks) to Allison for all of her hard work and dedication; she pours her heart and soul into each cake she creates.

4 comments:

Ann said...

wow. that's amazing!! good job!!

Michelle said...

That is amazing! Now after all that work, I'd have a hard time taking a bite of it!

I bet Benjamin loved it!

SBrooks said...

Crazy talent there! Great cake!

Stacey said...

Wow! So cool. And I thought I was crazy for thinking of doing something special for Hayden's birthday! As a matter-of-fact, when I asked for Todd's opionion he said "who cares? she'll forget about the cake 10 minutes later." To which I responded "No she won't! I'll take pictures and remind her for the rest of her life!"