Monday, August 22, 2011

High Adventure adventures


The Big 3: Camping, Hiking & Climbing

At the end of July, Dave embarked on the teachers quorum's summer high adventure activity. He was asked to plan the whole thing, which is a daunting task for anyone... even for someone like Dave who loves that kind of stuff.

Although it was a long, and from the sounds of it, quite taxing trip to the backcountry, he said that he thought the boys had a good time and enjoyed the experience. I think Dave did too, even if he won't readily admit it. And, I think it was a great way for the boys to get to know their leader in a different environment.

The motley crue hiked down into to the Lake Melakwa area, making camp at Pratt Lake. They set up camp and then hiked to Lake Melakwa. Dave mentioned that some boys, although very athletic found the steep pitches to be tough. But despite the challenges of the terrain, all made it successfully and enjoyed the beauty of that lush area.

After the typical Scouting and camping experiences that come along with these adventures - most of which I am not at all privy to - the next day they hiked out and met their next challenge: rock climbing. They are not kidding when they name these things "High Adventure"; I think the scouts got what they paid for on this trip. If the steep hikes and camping adventures did not exhaust them, the rock climbing surely did.

All in all, I think every boy had an awesome time and although tired, hungry, dirty and more than a little sore from all of their hard work, I dare say they would even do it again! How could you not with the views such as these?



No comments: