Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Tender Mercies

It is with a heavy heart that I share that our sister-in-law, Heather passed away last night. The team of doctors did everything in their power to save her, but it was her time to go. I don't really have words to express the deep sadness we all feel; though we know she is out of pain, we miss her and the hole she is leaving in our hearts is great.

However, through the incredible pain and sadness miracles have abounded. The gospel is an amazing blessing - I don't know how people survive these type of events without it.

Eric's two oldest boys came to the hospital early in the morning. He delivered the news to them through intermittent sobs. One of the uncles escorted Terrin (9) down to the cafeteria because he was hungry. But his oldest, Camron (13), asked to be alone. He walked slowly to a private room down the hall. Someone accidentally walked in on him and he was on his knees in prayer. It was beautiful to see the strong faith of someone so young and touching to see how sensitive he is to the spirit. The fact that his deacon's quorum advisor left work and stayed with Camron the entire day is a testament to the amazing ward they are in.

There were also many priesthood blessings given to members of the family; the power of the Priesthood was palpable and we were greatly blessed & comforted in a time of such great sorrow.

Through an miraculous chain of events, Eric was able to track down Heather's best friend from high school. She was at the hospital every day for hours on end, even though she had little ones at home. She brought in food, water, Kleenex and, although Nikki is not a member of the church she brough a comforting spirit into the waiting room. Before we ever knew this would be the outcome, she also set up a benevolent donation account at Key Bank under "Heather Marchant"; now that Heather has passed away, this fund will be one way that people can help ease the burden of funeral costs, Christmas, etc. Nikki was a ministering angel to a family in need of some tender mercies.

Last night was particularly hard when Dave & I got home. I couldn't stop crying so Dave offered to give me a blessing. As I bowed my head, sobbing, he spoke of the Savior and how he knew the pain I was feeling at that moment. In yet another tender mercy, the heaviness lifted and a lightness of hope began to permeate my heart.

10 comments:

SBrooks said...

I am so sorry to hear about Heather. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and Eric and family. I can't even begin to imagine what is happening there but I send my love and condolances.

wandering nana said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you. We love you and know that He is always there to comfort us.

Tymon said...

My tears and prayers are with you. Having lost my son last month I know how hard it is and also what a huge blessing the gospel is in all of this. Thanks for posting your thoughts and feelings.

Jenni said...

I just caught up on your last two blog posts. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister in law. Reading your post about it made me cry. Eric and the rest of your family will be in our prayers.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I'm glad to hear that there are so many good people in Eric's ward to help out. The Prophet family is amazing! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Stacey said...

Oh Michelle. I am so amazed at how positive you sound about this and how you have all seemed to find blessings in such a hard thing. I couldn't read this without crying myself, even though I didn't know Heather. My heart aches for you, and I realize that I need to be grateful for how blessed I am. It makes all of my trials seem so insignificant. Let me know if there is anything you need or if you need someone to talk to.

Mindy Hales said...

There are no words.

angelalois said...

I also cried. It's beautiful. I'm glad Dave could give you a blessing. I love you and am praying for you. Talk to you soon.

Shera said...

Michelle, I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you. My prayers are with you and all of your family. Our hearts go out to Eric and his children and pray they will find comfort this holiday season. I hope you too can feel peace and know we are all thinking of you.

Heidi said...

I am so sorry! I cried while reading this. How sad, but how positive Dave's testimony was. The gospel is wonderful and comforting for times like this.