Monday, December 08, 2008

Come What May

"Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most.  Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning.  Just give hope a chance to float up.  And it will..."

In the last week, I've experienced so many raw emotions about endings and beginnings which brought to mind that quote from Hope Floats. More importantly, I've been trying to remember the "middle", all of the good things I remember about Heather.  And there are so many.  
Writing seems to be the only thing that is keeping me from losing it on a day-to-day basis.  So, purely as catharsis for this surreal experience, I want to share with you some thoughts about my Saturday.

As we walked into our old church building, a flood of memories came back to me; Young Women's, Seminary, church dances, holiday parties.  But this day would attach another memory to this place.  After our family prayer, our group of 60 family members walked slowly into the chapel, which was brimming with hundreds of people who knew and loved Heather and their family.  Eric's friend and home teacher, Mike Tonks, delivered one of the most powerful, beautiful talks I've ever heard at a funeral.  He was followed by Zak Heath, Heather's long-time friend, as well as her sister's husband; he shared sweet and sometimes funny remembrances of Heather, from birth to death.  His thoughts added a bit of levity for a heavy-hearted audience.  My brother and Heather's husband, the final speaker, then walked to the stand.  He shared sweet memories and facts about Heather than no one had previously heard.  My mom and all of the Marchant siblings concluded the services by singing, "Flying Free", a song that was sung at our younger sister's funeral 20 years ago. 



The graveside service was a simple prayer, dedicating the grave, that was delivered by my
 brother David.  Afterwards, each of the children placed a flower on the casket as the onlookers casually chatted; the younger ones did not really understand that that moment was "goodbye" for a time.  What a blessing we have to know that we will see her again - a sweet knowledge that her oldest son began to realize.  It was such a sad day but we were surrounded by dear family, kind ward members and loving friends that we haven't seen for nearly 15 years.

Everyone headed back to the building for the family luncheon, graciously prepared by Relief Society sisters from Snohomish 1st ward, Lake Stevens 2nd ward and Marysville 4th ward.  After such a long day, it was a pleasant time to sit and eat, while everyone shared special & fond memories of their mother, aunt, sister, daughter and friend.

This morning, I was reading through Bridget John's blog and one of her entries caught my eye.  She spoke of the passing of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin and shared a quote from his conference talk, "Come What May, and Love It".  In a time such as this, the title seems an impossible feat.  But a powerful quote from his address helps one understand:
How can we love days that are filled with sorrow?  We can't - at least not in the moment.  I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain.  I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath of cloak of pretended happiness.  But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.  If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.
I love the words of the prophets, both past and present, because they can bring strength and comfort in the darkest hours of our lives.  As we pass through this terribly dark shadow, my hope is that we will learn something, grow a bit wiser and ultimately, find the peace, hope and joy we are so desperately seeking.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

What a good post. I loved your quotes, especially the Joseph B. Wirthlin one. It's true that we are all strengthened the most during our greatest trials. Hopefully if anything good comes of this, it will be that her family and loved ones will have a deeper desire to be better so they are worthy to live with her again. Somehow deaths always do that to me. They help me reevaluate my life so I can be my best. It's the "love it" part that is the hardest during trials.

I especially loved in one of your previous posts that your 13 year old nephew was caught praying after he heard the news. What better thing can you witness your 13-year old doing in a moment like this?

Amanda Schurig said...

Again, I am soo sorry for you loss Michelle. Death is such a strange and surreal thing to deal with, especially when it is someone you are close with. I don't understand how people that don't have the gospel in their lives deal with death. I am soo grateful to know that we will be with our loved ones again, it's just soo hard when you want to see and talk to them NOW.

You are seriously one of thee most strongest and amazing people I've ever known! I don't know why difficult things like this have to happen in life, but I do know that Heavenly Father has a plan, a perfect plan and that we are blessed in times of our trials.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Love you girl!!

Jenni said...

My prayers are with you and your family. It was sweet to read about the funeral service. I really appreciated your quote by Elder Worthlin- as he was my favorite general authority. What he said has so much truth to it.

You are so strong. I can't imagine how you are feeling, but writing about it has touched me and I did not know Heather personally. Thank you for sharing your feelings and testimony.

SBrooks said...

Wow - well put. We are keeping the family in our thoughts and prayers. Wish we could be closer to help out.

Frank and Julie said...

The past few days I've been finding pictures of Heather through the years. Each one has special meaning as I see her face. Somehow just seeing a picture of her helps the healing process for me. She had such a lovely smile didn't she?
Loved your quotes by Wirthlin. His mother was right on target about how we approach trials in our life.
Eric called me today just to talk. He is sooo lonely. He and Heather used to talk all the time with each other.