Recently, I purchased a bag of Dove Promises, which are simply divine and I eat in small portions on special occasions - like when I am tired, stressed, excited, happy, bored, etc. On a particularly stressful day, I was feeling a bit saucy and ate three (gasp!) as I worked on a project. Not only does Dove provide you with rich, dreamy chocolate, but they also include these fortune cookie-like messages inside the folds of red foil. Here are a couple gems that I collected over the past few weeks:
Tell someone you love them.
Keep the promises you make to yourself.
Be fearless.
There's no excuse not to dream.
Concentrate on the important things.
Own all of the moments of your life.
Make "someday" today.
(I really did not eat all of these in one day - I promise!)
While these "pearls of wisdom" are trite and not earth-shattering advice, I found them to be amusing and, at times, quite perfect for a particular moment. Eventually, I threw them out and forget about the advice. You may be thinking I'm crazy for taking advice from candy, but last week I had a moment that brought the little pearls back into focus.
A friend at work, who was having a perfectly normal day, went about her usual duties and headed for home. Walking in the door, she greeted her husband who was sitting on the couch. Moments later, she realized he had not responded. Sometime during the day, he had quietly and suddenly passed away. She & her husband were very similar to Dave & I: they've only been married for a few years, they were in their early 30's, they had dreams and aspirations for the life they were building.
Upon hearing the news the next morning, I thought of my own life and those trite phrases took on an entirely different meaning. Just read them and see for yourself:
Tell someone you love them.
Keep the promises you make to yourself.
Be fearless.
There's no excuse not to dream.
Concentrate on the important things.
Own all of the moments of your life.
Make "someday" today.
7 comments:
I'm so sorry. Thank you for the wonderful message. I wish I could "Live like this was the last day of my life." You never know. Our life changes when we lest expect it to.
wow! My heart goes out to your friend. That's unimaginable!
I have never eaten a dove chocolate, but I think I may buy some (good advertisement!) and when I read the bits of "wisdom" I'll think of you!
I love you to pieces!-I hope you know that!
That is so sad. I'm so sorry to hear that about your coworker.
I really like those "pearls of wisdom". Thanks for sharing.
Wow - powerful! Makes you re-think how valuable and precious every moment is.
Sorry to hear about your friends husband.
wow, that became so profound after reading what happened. How sad.
Thanks for sharing!
That is horrible! I feel bad for your co-worker. It is a good reminder of how short life is. Good post.
Post a Comment