Friday, May 30, 2008

The Good, the Bad & the Unreal

I haven’t divulged too much on the blog about my current situation at work (aka: Hospital A). Things have been difficult for the last few months with many changes in management. Because of that, and a number of other reasons, I started looking for a new job in April.

To my amazement, I was extended a great medical librarian job offer last week; it’s at an eastside hospital (Hospital B), it’s part-time with full benefits, and I can commute via my bike and a commuter bus. With any big decision, prayer is always involved – and I felt good about moving forward. However, with a 50% decrease in hours, Dave & I knew it would be best if I could find another part-time job to supplement that loss, at least for a while.

Since then, I’ve been looking on craigslist, NWjobs and other job sites. During the search, I realized there are a bazillion part-time jobs out there: everything from computer programming to training children on computer literacy, from working as a massage clinic receptionist to walking dogs. If nothing else, I knew I would be in for a new and “interesting” work environment. The one scary variable was how that would affect my schedule; some jobs require working nights and weekends (including Sundays). Not good.

Earlier this week, I attended one of my exit interviews with Hospital A boss, her boss, the vice president and an HR rep. During that intense meeting, in which I delicately delivered the various reasons why I would be departing, the VP suddenly asked if I would be willing to do contract work for them. He said it would be on my terms.

Wow. Maybe dog walking is not in my future.

But there’s more! Yesterday, I received a surprising phone call. My soon-to-be manager had just finished chatting with the information director at Hospital C (another eastside hospital), with which they partner. First of all, my manager said the director was jealous (huh?!) that they hired me before C could get to me (don’t they realize that I’m still new, new, new to this profession? and I’m as green as they come?). Manager B then asked if I would be interested in working for C, contractually, until they could find a replacement. After the initial shock of the jealousy comment, I said I’d talk to C and find out what they needed. Manager B said they would be happy to flex my schedule, as I needed.

Wow (!!!). I couldn’t believe what I had just heard.

The best part of all is that, with both A & C contract jobs, I told them I could help them as long as I could telecommute from home – and they agreed! While I could potentially be serving three libraries at once, and that seems entirely scary and overwhelming, I can do it on my terms.

Note to self – pinch arm to be assured this is not a dream because right now it seems unreal. I guess that adage about good things and 3’s is true.

9 comments:

wandering nana said...

Congrats. I'm excited for this new life you will have. You totally deserve it. You still could do the dog walking thing just to get your exercise.

Chelle said...

Good thought! Does Sally need a walking buddy?

Jenni said...

Wow! That is really awesome. That is really cool how things just came together too - and how nice to be in such demand. That's got to make you feel good, and like all of those years in school were well worth it!

TnT Bingham said...

Hooray Chelle! I'm so happy you'll be in a less stressful situation. Congratulations!

SaraRobinson said...

Well aren't you the popular girl:)

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Congrats! I agree with all the hospitals - you are a great person to have on their team. And the flexibility of your new jobs sounds just great! Good luck with the transition!

Chelle said...

Jenni - Yeah, I was pretty excited from the news. And, it makes me feel that I made the right decision because everything seems to be falling into place.

Tiff - Thanks, I appreciate all of your support. And have I told you lately how much I miss you?

Sara - I don't know if I'd say "popular", but definitely needed, which is a very nice feeling. :)

Rach - Thanks! I'm excited that they want me on their team too. And the flexibility will be so great. So, how are you feeling?

SBrooks said...

Awseome! You are a librarian rock star cous! now - YOU even have to believe it!

tearese said...

its amazing how things really work out for some people, and for others they can be looking for work for months and months. Really makes you feel blessed when it works out for you!