Thursday, May 01, 2008

A sad day...


On Tuesday afternoon, I was rear-ended on the way to a class at the gym. I won't go into gory detail, but I'm just very grateful that we have a car that received top rating in collisions. From the pictures at left, the car doesn't look too bad. However, it (& I) took a good hit from a large Ford F-250... the impact was significant enough that the truck actually left a partial image of the license plate on my bumper.

I've never been in a serious accident before, so I was in shock for most of that first night. Besides the typical aches, I'm doing ok but I've been off work since then while I try to relax and heal. Normally, I wouldn't post stuff like this but I just wanted to let everyone know; I realize that many of you have heard about the accident and were wondering what happened.

10 comments:

Rose said...

Sorry to hear about the accident! I hope that you are continuing to do well.

Heidi said...

Oh how scary! I'm glad you're doing okay and I hope you continue to recover.

Heidi said...

I did hear about it so I'm glad you are okay. Your poor Audi! That is a big truck to rear end you!

Jenni said...

Oh wow - you poor girl! How fast was the truck going that hit you? Yeah, take it easy. I've never really been in a "major" accident either, but last year I got rear ended on the freeway (lots of rain, hard visibility). I was at a stop, and he didn't have time to slow down so he ran into me but he was only going like 15 mph or so. My car was pretty much fine and so was I.

But then for the next month I kept getting awful, I mean AWFUL headaches. Like to the point where they were migraine level. And then Will and I went skiing up at Stevens and on the way up the chairlift my throat started to close up and my entire neck went stiff. It was super embarrassing - the ski patrol had to come get me and I refused to be taboggin'd off, so they rode the chairlift back down with me.

Anyway...long story short here - turns out I had whiplash. I've never had it before so how was I supposed to know? And the thing that really stunk is doctors don't like to treat whiplash patients (something to do with health insurance). Anyway I ended up going to a massage therapist once a week for 4 weeks and it was pretty painful but it really helped and the headaches went away.

Sorry that was like a novel. Anyway just take care of yourself and listen to your body. Even just small little things could be effects from the accident. Feel better! :(

tearese said...

wow, that looks pretty good for such a big truck hitting you! Glad you're okay.

TnT Bingham said...

chelle, i'm so glad you are okay (for the most part)! It makes me sick to think about something like that happening to you. It must have been a scary experience. Heal quickly, dear. I love you to pieces!

PS Your kayaking experience last weekend sounds divine! =)

TnT Bingham said...

oh yeah, and one more thing....I just finally caught up on your account of the play you guys saw....I laughed outloud more than once! you are fantastic!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Sorry to hear about the accident, but so glad that you weren't seriously hurt. At least your husband's in the right line of business. But I would recommend getting yourself into a good PT.

Stacey said...

Accidents make for a sad month. If it would have been a hit and run, at least you would have known how to track the guy down!

Chelle said...

Thanks for all of your comments & well-wishes. I feel fortunate that the accident wasn't worse & that we were able to track down the guy's insurance (after some bogus stories). With PT starting soon and a prescription(!) for some lovely massages, all will be well soon.