Monday, April 11, 2011

We Win, We Win

Listen just a moment, my child/ Can you hear it?/Listen a moment, it's there/It is there in the stillness of a dark night/It is the sweet sound of silence/A silence so ethereal, so rare.

Last night, we won. Last night, our son slept through the night; he did wake briefly, but eased back into a sweet, deep slumber for the rest of the night.

*Sigh*. It was pure bliss.

Since we made the move from Townhouse to CountryHouse, Benjamin's sleep patterns have been less than stellar. I've heard that big changes like a move can cause havoc to normal sleep cycles for children. And boy, did it it ever. I can recall one time that he slept through the entire night in his crib. One night. Since Halloween. And, honestly, I thought he had stopped breathing, so I had to go check.

Over the past several months, we've tried to establish a consistent bedtime routine, which typically includes the following: take a warm bath, change diaper/PJs, storybook time, rocking chair, turn on low-light lamp, cuddle with favorite monkey blanket, say family prayer, sing songs & lullabies, and finish with goodnight kisses & hugs. Doesn't simply reading this long list of lovely things just send you to a calm, sleepy place? It does for me - but not our son.

Since the transition to our new home, he's fought his evil nemesis, SLEEP, with a fiery vengeance. We've tried different methods from crying it out (awful and heartbreaking); put in crib, leave, cries, check-in, repeat until exhaustion sets in (awful, heartbreaking and LONG); run around until exhaustion sets in (NEVER works for our Energizer Bunny); or bounce to sleep on our huge exercise ball (last resort - almost always works, but takes lots of time & patience).

And getting him to sleep for the first time has just been part of the battle. After the first "nigh-night", he wakes 1 hour after bedtime, 2 hours and then like clock-work, a final wake-up at either 1 or 3:30am. By that point, I'm so bleary-eyed and exhausted, I lie him on my shoulder while groping my way along the darkened hallway back to our room. And so, for the last five months, we've had a mini bunkmate who shares our bed and steals our sleep. It's no wonder why we've both been so tired!

On Saturday night, I was at the last resort - the big, blue exercise ball - but it wasn't working. I was TIRED, lulling myself to sleep with the rhythmic bouncing while our little kiddo continued to wiggle, giggle and bounce with glee. Finally, I had to put him in his crib, the thought of which sends his little legs running for the hills. One tired mommy and one angry kid was sure to be a recipe for a long night, but to my astonishment, SLEEP overtook him quickly. It was nothing short of a miracle. The mid-night wakings still occurred, but it was a small step in the right direction.

Yesterday was busy and stake choir practice ran late, so I didn't get home until well after 9pm. I was worried about our kiddo getting to bed so late. But thanks to a persistent husband, the sound of pitter-pattering feet was replaced by the slow, quiet breathing of a sleepy child. And, besides a 1am cry in the dark, the house lay silent, still and peaceful until a raucous beep, beep, beeping welcomed us to Monday morning.

To get over 6 hours of uninterrupted, bed-to-ourselves, sleep: it felt good. It felt like cool air rushing into your lungs, winning a gold medal, the first lick of an ice-cream cone, the rush of waves lapping at your feet. It felt like *that* kind of good.

2 comments:

Renae said...

Hurray for a good nights sleep! It seemed that for a very long time a repeated plea in our night prayers, was for a good night's sleep. :). I hope it continues!

Jenni said...

Oh boy...do I relate to this one. With Preston he didn't start sleeping through the night until about 14 months old. With Taylor, it's looking like the same story. And we have tried to be better this time and started the sleep traiing stuff at 5 months (he is now 8 months). We tried consistently for about 2 weeks (Every. Single. Method you tried, we did also.). We were so exhausted, so we gave up. Waited two weeks, and then tried again. We've determined that our kid is the most stubborn kid alive and is non-sleep-trainable. LOL. I guess when he's ready, he'll let us know. I've just gotten used to waking up every 3 hours to put him back to sleep. Ugh. I think I wrote a blog post about this a while back on my mommy blog (Belly Diaries) but I couldn't tell you when or where. It was a couple of months ago and there was a series of weeks where I hardly blogged and when I did, it was like "I haven't slept, neither has my child, and I'm crabby." LOL