Friday, July 01, 2011

Mr. Sun, Please Shine Down on Me

"Mommy, what is it?"

I came upstairs to find Benjamin fixated on the sun, as the light poured through the window, lighting up the carpet with sunshine-y goodness. "Oohs" & "Ahhs" were coming from his mouth as he ran his little fingers across the carpet fibers in a moment of pure childhood discovery.

When my son is perplexed by this weird thing that I called "The Sun", this is proof positive that we've had nothing but cloudy days for months here in Seattle.


Well... I should take that back about nothing but cloudy days. Yesterday on the radio, a news reporter said that we had exactly ONE SUNNY DAY - meterologically speaking - in the month of June. And even better? It's been about 280 days since we have seen a day that hit 80 degrees.

Wowsers.

No wonder he was so perplexed by this golden globe. Today's Benjamin Lesson: This "Sun Thing" is very bright and hurting his eyes. Hopefully we'll be getting more visits from Mr. Sun - we might just have to buy some little boy sunglasses, at this rate!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Yes. Wowsers. I remember a friend of mine there saying her son was pointing at the sky one day saying "mom, what's that?" Mom: "what's what?" Him: "THAT BLUE THING!" Mom: "The sky?" (there was a blue patch of sky. And that's when she realized how sad it was that her son didn't know the sky was supposed to be blue.) I hope you get some summer weather soon!

wandering nana said...

How sad that the sun is such a surprise... we need to travel more I guess.

Heidi said...

To answer your question...boulder resort is what we nicknamed my parents house. The road they live on is called boulder lane. So no fancy trips for us. Haha. And we go over there to see that big yellow ball in the sky more. ;)