Get to Calico Cupboard - that means YOU!
Last week, Kali called me and said she was going to take mom out to breakfast, and wanted us to come up and crash the party. Needless to say, when Benjamin saw her and started screaming, "Gramma!", she was more than surprised.
If you've never even heard of Calico Cupboard, poor you. If you've heard of it, but never stepped foot into Calico Cupboard, shame on you! Ok, that's a bit harsh, but "poor you", then. Calico Cupboard is this awesome bakery/breakfast-lunch cafe located in the sleepy, old downtown of Mt. Vernon. If you drive up I-5, it's very close to the smokestack that is painted as a tulip.
And while the location is quaint and lovely and all, it's the food that will knock you off your feet. It's like eating breakfast at your grandma's house, with the smells of fresh cinnamon rolls, homemade bread and salty bacon wafting throughout the open, two-story restaurant. It's such a popular place, you'll be hard-pressed to find a seat on a weekend morning. But do everything in your power to get there because it's an experience to have at least once, if not twenty times.
I was thinking of going nostalgic, with a retro dish of biscuits and gravy. But in the end, I ordered an egg-white omelette filled with spinach, tomato, red onion, avocado and sausage, with a side order of sliced kiwi, banana and oranges, and never looked back! Mom & Kali ordered omelettes too; I believe I can speak for them when I say it was a plate-licking-worthy meal! It filled me up with each savory, delectable bite. Fortunately, with such large helpings, Benjamin was more than willing to down some of those "eggies" too!
This series of pictures was an effort to get Benjamin to pose for the camera. After a few attempts, I kissed him on the cheek, which caused him to grab for my face. We snuggled together for another try, and he pulled a super goofy face. Love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment