Monday, December 20, 2010

Count Them One by One

Testing, testing - 1,2,3...

Sometimes, it's so easy to get caught up in the chaotic nature of life that you forget. You forget that someone is there, someone is listening.

But today, I remembered. The past few days, I've prayed so hard I thought I might burst - and then suddenly, a tender mercy just flitted down from heaven like a little feather floating on a gentle breeze. A couple, actually.

Here are some tender mercies that bring sweet simplicity and joy to my heart this week - the week of Christmas - and I wanted to share with you:
  • Answered prayers
  • Playing with Benjamin
  • Sweet harmonies of Christmas carols
  • Listening to the stillness of the night
  • Christmas lights bathing our house with holiday cheer
  • Inspiration
  • An overwhelming sense of peace
  • "The Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit" (David O. McKay)
  • Holding Dave's hand
  • The kindness of strangers
  • Wishing someone "Merry Christmas", and seeing their startled, happy change of disposition
  • Getting back to basics
  • Understanding that each person is a child of God
  • Smiling at a stranger, and then having them return the favor
  • Knowing that we can be forgiven
  • Knowing that God knows my heart
If you have ever wondered if God is listening, he is. In his 2008 conference talk, Elder David A. Bednar says "I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us". If you ever doubt it, read Elder Bednar's talk, think about those "nice coincidences" in your life and you will know.

1 comment:

angelalois said...

love that talk. I think about it all the time. Every time I read or hear the phrase "tender mercies" I think about that talk. those tender mercies truly get us through the tough times.