10/10/10
OK, folks - I can't help myself. This special date is calls for a top ten list... and because the opportunity will not come around again for a very, very long time, I felt compelled to do my part to commemorate this lovely day.

So, here it is: The Top 10 Things I Love About Autumn:
- High school football games - the energy and sounds are so electrifying, you can't help but get caught up in the excitement as you cheer on your favorite team.
- Sweaters - I love a good, cozy sweater, especially as the seasons change.
- Apples - whether it is apple pie, applesauce, apple crisp, or even a freshly sliced Honeycrisp, this fruit is just a natural part of autumn for me.
- Falling leaves - a few years ago, I gathered several colorful leaves from a Japanese maple, dried and pressed them, then framed them. Those frames sit on a shelf at my work; one golden leaf, one burnt orange leaf and one fiery red leaf allow me to experience autumn all year round.
- A crispness in the air - that coolness takes my breath away and makes me giddy for the future months, filled with wintery holiday fun.
- Corn fields - transformed into winding mazes, they are a fun place to celebrate the harvest, take in some of that fresh country air and relish time spent outdoors with family and friends.
- Hot chocolate or cider - sipping frothy sweetness from a warm mug; warms your hands while warming your belly.
- Crafts & reading - with the cool weather, it's the natural time to shift activities indoors. Making things by hand is absolutely enjoyable and relaxing, but the idea of curling up with a good book is equally appealing.
- Holidays - Halloween means that Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner.
- Parties - whether a costume party or a dinner party, I love spending time with the important people in my life. An added bonus? Good conversation and good food are an outstanding combination.
So here's a big question for you: What do YOU love about this time of year?
5 comments:
Hmmm. It's supposed to be 93* here today. Somehow I am in denial about the holidays creeping up on me. I am going to be in trouble when I haven't done any Christmas shopping and December hits!
I like the whole "Back-To-School" thing. After summer vacation, I was excited to go back to college, and my son started kindergarten. I also like that in Eastern Washington, it's really sunny, but not melting hot like it was all summer! My other favorite thing about this season is pumpkins! Yum.
I love all of those things too! Except for the crispness in the air. I always get so sad when summer leaves and I step outside and feel that cold biting air for the first time. There was a day last week when I experienced that for the first time and had to go back inside and grab a jacket because I had no idea it was that cold outside. Made me sad :( But it could also be because I was pregnant all summer and missed out on a lot of it and now feel like I got jipped - LOL. You know how it is, having had an August baby yourself. ;)
this post makes me happy for fall. thanks. 1) apples - have you ever made apple butter? I heard it's awesome and I think I'll do it. 2) there is a facebook group called "I'll go out of my way to step on a crunchy-looking leaf." I think that says it all ;-)
I couldn't have put it more perfectly myself!! I LOVE AUTUMN!
Post a Comment