Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Fire: My Story

"It's just a building."



Last Saturday, just before 6am, Dave's phone started buzzing. He quickly grabbed it and I thought to myself, "who could be calling at this hour?" I heard the words church and fire, but the way the conversation was going, it sounded like a minor brush fire started on the side of the building. Then Dave repeated back the bishop's startling news: the church is gone.

I really can't remember what I did - it was one of those moments where time just seems to stop. It was so hard to believe, almost like a bad nightmare that I could not wake up from - yet, I was very much awake. Shortly after the phone call, Dave was worrying about the thousands in climbing equipment that were being stored in the building for "safe keeping". I just kept trying to wrap my mind around the thought that this was our new reality - in an instant, we were without our church. As I continued to think about it, my mind drifted to many treasures in the YW closet; all of those things we had made, donated or purchased for the girls. My stomach was sick at the thought of all that was lost.

Then, I thought of the pianos, with their familiar touch - and the organ. I kept thinking I needed to pinch myself... it couldn't be real.

But it was.


We had a bunch of work, packing and chores to do at home, but watched the news or checked the internet for updates. Watching the video of the fire as it licked at the bricks, eagerly consumed the walls and gleefully collapsed the roof, made me physically ill. That afternoon we had our family pictures taken at Marina Beach in Edmonds. On the way home, Dave suggested swinging by the building. Initially, I didn't want to go, but figured it would be important to see what had happened. As we drove along Chennault Beach Road, which runs parallel to the building, I came face-to-face with reality. The building was still smoking and the parking lot was taped off, while firefighters, investigators and reporters swarmed the scene.

We parked the car at the high school, put Benjamin in his stroller and walked over to see the damage up close. I could see into the foyer - windows were broken out, but you could still see the hallway. I looked up at the second floor classrooms - some of the interior walls were still standing, but the roof was completely gone. The YW room's roof was half collapsed, but the corner of the room (the location of the closet) looked to be completely intact - the roof was still there too.


We stood and talked to the Valentines (our bishop), as well as several other members from both wards. A risk management rep from Salt Lake flew in that morning, and Dave chatted with him while I walked around the lot to get a look at the back of the building. While I gazed at the extensive damage - it looked like someone just came along and ripped off the exterior east wall - one of the fire chiefs came over and chatted with me, asking if I had attended church at the building. By that time, the news was reporting that it was not an accident, and in fact, an arson case. He explained to me that the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms had found some strong evidence that told them it was arson. I asked the chief when he had arrived at the scene, to which he replied, "3am"; I glanced at my watch and it was nearly 7pm. I thanked him for his help and with a firm, respectful nod, he said, "You are welcome" then strode off.

As we were leaving (& as I soon discovered we were some of the last members to take off), I was approached by a news reporter from Fox News. She asked several nice questions, but it seemed her intent was to incite some emotional response from me. Basically, I said it was a sad event, but we would likely rebuild. And, while many of us had sweet memories tied to the building, we could take those memories with us.

Church followed the next day; same time, different location. Fortunately, a neighboring stake was holding their stake conference, so we had full use of one of their smaller buildings. As we drove up to the building that day, reporters, cameras and news trucks with satellites greeted us. After church, FoxNews had a cameraman onsite, interviewing folks on their thoughts as well; fortunately, I able to slide by without getting interviewed a second time.

A few days later, I had an errand to run close to the building, so Benjamin and I dropped by the site. By that time, fencing surrounded what was left of the church and workers were taking notes and pictures, as they prep the building for demolition. I ran into a young girl armed with a Starbucks cup, who approached me near the front of the church. She looked at me, clenched her coffee, and with very sad eyes asked, "Did you go here?" I nodded yes. Then she asked, "Uh, do you guys have insurance?"

I explained what I had heard, which was that the church did not have insurance due to the high cost to cover such a large amount of real estate across the world. However, funds were in place, plans were being drawn up and the building would be replaced within the next year, or so.

She smiled and said she was a student at Kamiak High School, which is adjacent to the church - she even knew a few of our YW. She said that she and many other students wanted to hold a benefit concert to raise funds, assisting the church in the rebuilding effort. I smiled and said that I thought members would be delighted to hear that that was happening, but perhaps the funds could be donated to another cause. Fortunately, Chad (the other counselor in the bishopric) happened to drive by. He took down her name and number, noting that many others in the community expressed similar ideas.

After that touching interchange, I snapped a quick picture of the front fenced area, where others in the community had left flowers and a potted plant, which held a card addressed to "The church family". I opened the card and it contained the signatures of people I did not recognize.


It's so wonderful, and sweetly overwhelming, to have such strong community support, in a time of such loss. But, as many other church members have already expressed via the numerous news stories, Facebook messages and blog posts, it is just a building. The fortunate thing is no one was hurt and a physical structure can be replaced; the truth we know and importance that the gospel holds in our lives can never be destroyed.

5 comments:

tearese said...

thank you for sharing your perspective on the story; what a sad thing to happen. Elora and Josh were both blessed there, and its sad to think they can't really ever visit it now, but its so great that no one was hurt.

Frank and Julie said...

It made me cry to hear that people from the community brought flowers to express their sadness.

Jenni said...

Oh wow, that brought tears to my eyes. It is so nice to know that others in the community want to reach out and support the church, even though they are not members. It is a great strength to know that it's "just a building" and the people who burnt it down did not break the members. Thanks for posting this, it is the first time I have seen photos.

Heidi said...

Interesting stories you shared... about that girl from the HS and that potted plant left. How nice of people and their desire to help. It is sad and it not only effects our 2 wards, but the other one's we have now moved in with.

Rose said...

Thanks for posting a "before" photo! It's good to see the building at a time that it was intact!

So sorry again for the loss! Our oldest three children were blessed there.