Each time I log on to Blogger, I try so hard not to get overwhelmed by all of the back-blogging I need/want to do... because, you know, there is A LOT! But, I'm also trying to be better about getting up the latest info; I'd hate to have you reading about what we've been up to around here, only to realize that it is last week (or last quarter's) news!
So, I give you a post from this week - Labor Day 2010 - or our Jam-Packed Day of Holiday Fun:
Morning Adventures at Maltby Cafe

The day started out with a visit to Maltby Cafe with Mark and Linda. When it comes to fun - and to a hearty breakfast - they are always game to join us! The picture above is just one of the many beautiful dishes the cafe whips up. Dave and I opted for a vegetarian omelette, with whole-wheat toast and a side of sausage (I love meat, what can I say?). I cannot recall what M & L dined on, but it smelled absolutely divine. And if you ask any of the locals, there isn't a bad dish in the place.
Professional Foot Analysis
After a filling breakfast, Dave suggested driving to Greenlake so that I could get fitted for some new running shoes. I was excited because I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but just kept putting it off. They measured my foot balance (how pressure was dispersed across my feet), arch analysis (I'm right in the middle), video of my running technique (running barefoot feels weird) and finally, determining what kind of shoe will 1) work best for my feet and 2) fix the alignment issues that have been causing my hip issues.
So, after measuring, videotaping, making notes, hemming, hawing, more notes, followed by trying on several pairs of shoes, and wa-laa: the perfect shoe for Michelle!
Stability
Medium Arch
Uneven Peak Pressure
Semi-Flex
Straight Foot Position
And they were a size 8. I usually wear an 8 1/2 or 9, so this was a bit of a suprise too. But they fit so well - and running in them? Dreamy. They were a tad spendy, with the addition of the arch supports, but I am hopeful that they will be my miracle shoes and that I won't have to deal with any more PT due to cheap running shoes.
Ranger Cookies

When we got home, we were in serious need of a little treat - I think we spent nearly 2 hours at the shoe store! Per Dave's request, I made my healthy cookies which are a variation of the Betty Crocker Ranger Cookie recipe. I omit the coconut (bleh) and dried fruit - and add chocolate chips. I omit white flour for whole wheat, throw the oatmeal in the food processor until it is very fine and then add some unsweetened applesauce to moisten things up. And the result is fabulous - and a bit healthier than the average chocolate chip cookie. Which works for us, and fills that little treat void.
Family Home Evening

At the end of the long day, we held Family Home Evening. Dave gave a lesson from the Ensign called, "Growing Green Beans and Families". If you have a moment, check it out - a definite must-read if you want to cultivate a healthy family.


2 comments:
Wow, I didn't know that there were places that did fittings for running shoes like that! I wish I would have known that. I knew I had high arches, and so just tried on a bunch of shoes designed for people with high arches to find out which ones felt best... then pick the cheapest pair of the lot!
You went to the Maltby Cafe and didn't order a cinnamon roll?!??!?!? :) Though your breakfast looks excellent.
Post a Comment