Usually, my parents come over on Friday nights so we can go out on a date. Because they did Cub Scout Day Camp all week, followed by a day of babysitting Eric’s kids, we thought they might need a night off. I told them to stop by on their way home so they could at least see Benjamin for a second. But, because my dad’s birthday was few weeks back, we surprised them with a little indoor picnic/bday celebration. We dined on Papa Murphy’s deLITE pizzas, root beer, spinach/fruit salad and popsicles. We gave my dad movie tickets because, well, he pretty much loves any movie. In fact, when we asked what movie they might see that night, he exclaimed, “I don’t know what your mom is going to do, but I’m going to see two”!
WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK
Saturday morning started early. We had to be up to the church by 8am for our turn in cleaning the building. Dave hopped on his bike for some exercise, so when Benjamin and I rolled into the parking lot, we were very much alone. All but for the cleaning coordinator, it was just me and my little guy. I knew that Dave was on his way, but the thought of being the only family there to clean (again!) was very discouraging. However, it needed to be done, so I put on my happy face, set Benjamin up with a variety of bouncy balls (including our exercise ball that towers over the little guy), and started cleaning the chapel. Unfortunately, Benjamin was not interested in the balls, but rather clinging to my shoulder like a baby spider monkey. Fortunately, another couple showed up 15 minutes later, closely followed by Dave’s arrival. The four of us cleaned like crazy, and although the church was not spotless in the end, it was prepped and ready for Sunday.
BAKING MACHINE
After cleaning, Dave headed out from the church for the rest of his bike ride as we headed for home – there was a lot to get done for the funeral and the BBQ later that day. I started by making a chocolate cream pie, garnished with strawberries; it had to be refrigerated for four hours, and I was running short on time. After the pie was in the fridge came the M&M cookies, but those whip in no time flat thanks to the easy cake mix-cookie recipe. As those were baking, I started in on the salad. Grabbing a beautiful ceramic bowl with terra cotta trim, I started with baby spinach. I then added the following ingredients: quartered strawberries, mushroom halves, handfuls of organic blueberries and thinly-sliced pieces of red onion. The finishing touch was creamy Vidalia onion dressing, but because that has to be added right before people dig in, I threw that in a little container. Finally, I made some raspberry lemonade. Everything was good to go – except my kitchen, and the rest of the house, needed some serious attention!
A DIGNIFIED FAREWELL
I was so busy in the kitchen that I barely had time to take a shower and get ready before we had to rush off to the funeral. Judy Paskett’s stepfather had passed away this week; because he was a member of our ward, the Pasketts requested that I sing at the funeral. However, thanks to a lingering cold, a case of laryngitis from Youth Conference and my awful nerves, my voice sounded like a preteen boy hitting puberty. So, yes, singing was absolutely out of the question. But, I offered to perform a piano piece, “Prelude in C” (Bach) instead. Because it was held in the funeral home chapel, rather than the church building, someone suggested that I also play prelude, hymns and postlude, so that the regular organist would not need to attend. I was fine with that, except that we were running late that day. Everything worked out in the end and the funeral was very solemn and respectful. And, the music was fine – although it was challenging to perform on a synthesizer, rather than a traditional piano. An interesting, kind of strange part of the day? My SIL, Rachel, was asked to play a violin duet, as well (she is in the Paskett’s home ward). She was accompanied on the piano by my 2nd grade piano teacher – when we lived in Spokane! Weird, huh? Even weirder, yet – her violin partner was an older woman in her ward, who happened to be the mother of a guy I used to date. Talk about worlds colliding!
WALK IN THE PARK
As I finished the postlude at the funeral, we were off again! I dropped Dave at home to rest and get ready, then rushed the salad and cookies over to the family dinner. I promised the Pasketts I would make something really good; yesterday, I heard the salad and cookies were quickly devoured, so it sounds like I made good on my promise! Anyway, rushed back to the house, changed clothes, packed the car with more food, camping chairs and various other picnicking needs, and drove to McCollum Park. Even though we tried to rush from one thing to another, we were still 45 late to the Elder’s Quorum BBQ. But, as it was a pretty casual event, we got there just in time for burgers and hot wings, fresh from the grill. After working so hard that day, between cleaning, cooking and playing the piano, I was ready for some fun and downtime. The BBQ was perfect: we chatted with friends, sat in the cool grass, ate good food, enjoyed the coolness of the shade, went down the slide, dipped Benjamin’s little toes in the stream, took turns playing with Benjamin on the playground equipment (as well as pulling him off of various kids), and got to know lots of new members of the ward. It was a beautiful and relaxing way to cap off a very busy day!
TO BE CONTINUED
Sunday was yet another nice and sunny Seattle day. Benjamin even decided to take an extra-long morning nap! I thought that would make him more subdued for church, but I was wrong. Plus, he slept so long, he wore his footed pajamas to church. Normally, I am pretty strict about dressing him very nicely for the meeting block, but you know, sometimes it is good to just let go, and go with the flow. Kali did a nice wrap-up of Youth Conference, followed by touching testimonies from the Asay’s (who move next week), and great conference talks by the Apkens (who did their “move-in” talks). No ward business this week, which means another week in YW… but not sure how long that will last. Word has it that next week is when the big change will be announced. Several of our YW are fearful of what lies ahead, so I’ve been reading a lot about change. Marvin J. Ashton was one of my favorite apostles while at BYU; he wrote this of change and I have always tried to cling to this philosophy when faced with changes and uncertainty:
“There is a tendency to think of change as the enemy. Many of us are suspect of
change and will often fight and resist it before we have even discovered what
the actual effects will be. When change is thought through carefully, it can
produce the most rewarding and profound experiences in life” (Marvin J. Ashton,
in Conference Report, Oct. 1979, p. 87; or Ensign, Nov. 1979, p. 61).
6 comments:
And I thought I had a busy weekend! I'm tired just reading your post (or that could be the exhaustion from this weekend catching up with me)! he he
The Asay's are moving?! Not sure how I never caught wind of that. Are they leaving the ward?
Good luck with the YW change. Not sure why I WASN'T fearful the last time there was a change. I just assumed only the pres would change. (Especially since I hadn't been told I was being released until about 2 minutes before the meeting started!)
I agree with Michelle, Michelle, that I'm exhausted from reading about your weekend! You amaze me with all you do, and "whip" up divine dishes with ease.
I love the quote about change at the end. We've, sadly, had some issues with that here lately. Anyhoo, Ben is 1!! I need to do more. :)
I didn't realize how busy your Saturday was! You were going from one thing to the next. You looked all calm at the EQ picnic. :) Maybe because it was the last thing for the day.
What a whirlwind weekend you had. I'm glad you didn't have anymore activities!
It when we are the busiest, we are the happiest. That's my take on it all at least.
glad you were able to fit it all in.
Helping the Pasketts with the food and the music probably made them feel so grateful for your efforts.
Way to go!
Michelle - what is going on with your house? I hope you are in our ward some day! Hope to see you soon.
Post a Comment