Friday, October 23, 2009

Worst Day of My Life

I'm sure every other mother feels the same way.  Shot day was sad.  It happened 3 weeks ago and it was so sad.

I asked the nurse what I needed to do.  She instructed me: "just keep him focused on you".  

I was holding his tiny, trusting hands.  I was making sweet, cooing noises.   He was smiling at me.  Then, the needle found its mark - three times.

  And he looked at me - ME - like, why are YOU hurting me?  Yeah, he couldn't see the nurse, just ME - & we remained focused.  I should have directed his attention at the big, bad nurse and let her see his silent scream of pain & sadness, those huge tears and the eyes that were pleading, "Why?".

The worst part?  The despondent sobbing and little heaves of his chest that continued long after the shots had dug into his tiny thighs.  I fed him as soon as it was over, in an attempt to console him and make him forget the worst day of my life.  But he whimpered and drew in quick breaths between bursts of crying as I held him close.  

We stayed in the room for a long time.
 
And it was the worst day of my life.

3 comments:

Amanda Schurig said...

I'm tearing up just reading this!! I remember that day too for Samantha we both sat and cried together!!! It's a very very very sad day.

Mindy Hales said...

I totally teared up after Trevor's first shots and the nurse left quietly and left me alone to cry and nurse him.

Jenni said...

That is so sad! :( I totally remember those first shots. They do get easier...but yeah...definitely hard. THe hardest for me was the heel prick for blood tests. Ughhhh I cried.