In last week's post on "Love, Loss & What I Read", I mentioned a children's book that I loved called "The Little House" by Virgina Lee Burton.Here are the lines from the first page:
Once upon a time there was a Little House way out in the country. She was a pretty Little House and she was strong and well built. The man who built her so well said, "This Little House shall never be sold for gold or silver and she will live to see our great-great-grandchildren's great-great-grandchildren living in her."
Well, it turns out, there is a real-life story about a similar house right here in Seattle. The owner, an elderly woman, refused to sell out to a developer for a hefty sum and the result was that her little cottage was subsequently surrounded by a large, commercial complex (just like the book)! Sadly, she died last June and did not have any children or grandchildren to which she could bequeath her little cottage... so it doesn't end quite like the charming little book.
ALAN BERNER / THE SEATTLE TIMES
The full news story can be found in today's Seattle Times.
No comments:
Post a Comment