Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Day I Nearly Killed the Cake



A Birthday Haiku


Oh, red strawberry


Rich chocolate oozing goodness


Making mouths happy.








Last weekend, we had a tri-birthday celebration for Dave's dad, brother and our brother- in-law. I was asked to make the birthday cake for these three fabulous family members, and of course, I was more than happy to do so. In a flash of brilliance (which I later regretted), I decided to try something new in the cake baking/decorating department.

All other layer cakes I have made were built with layers cooked in separate pans. This is the smart and safe method. After baking a dark chocolate cake in a rectangular pan, I decided to make my own layers - a feat which I had never dared to accomplish in previous cake creations.

And so it began.

I wielded a new tool that boasted the ability to deftly cut through a pristine confection, leaving a clean, sliced portion. Alas, don't believe everything you read, or at least don't expect to be perfect on your first attempt! My 9"x13" chocolatey goodness cake became two uneven pieces, with thick chunks of rich cake unmercifully ripped from the sides as the "blade" made its way through the center. In the end, what I had on my hands, friends, was anything but clean - in fact, it was a huge and utter mess of crumbs and various cake parts scattered upon my counter.

But, alas - all was not lost. My fudge buttercream frosting saved the day! (Queue the Superman theme song.) Its unique properties, being that similar to grade school paste, allowed me to glue the chunks back together, slather a rich strawberry & white chocolate filling in the middle and frost it. As I put on the finishing touches (sliced strawberries and a chocolate glaze), you couldn't even tell that my kitchen was nearly a cake graveyard minutes earlier!

The proof is in the pudding, someone once said. As my sweet family inhaled the sweet layers of fudge, cake & fruit, no one was the wiser about the near-demise of this tri-birthday confection! And it truly was a happy birthday after all.

The End.

6 comments:

wandering nana said...

(queue-applause) Oncer, oncer.... Master of the Cake! (said as kneeling on the floor and arms stretched forward and bending down to the floor at least 4 times (think of the King and I)).

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

You're right, we had no clue as we inhaled the cake! That was one of my all time favorites!

Frank and Julie said...

You are the cake master!
Way to make a horrible situation into a great one!
I can just taste the chocolate and strawberry flavors with the filling in the middle.
Awe, the salivating!

Anne said...

I can't make my own layers to save my life! Way to try! I bet it was way yummy.

SBrooks said...

Yum! Can yu come to AZ in January so I can get a birthday pleasure cake? They look yum- yummy!

TnT Bingham said...

You are amazing! Wow! That thing looks so delicious my mouth is watering and I just ate breakfast! Love you and miss you lady! =)