Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Already

Picture it, if you will...

It's Monday morning. It's 6am. I slide gingerly out of the car with two arms full of *stuff* and a big bag slung across my back when the cold air hits. A fine mist covers the fabric of my rain jacket; a minute later, and I'm soaked. It's definitely fall in the Northwest.

Bleary-eyed, I stumble from the darkened (post Daylight Savings) parking lot, a bit cold and equally wet. Opening the employees entrance door, I walk into the sterile hallways of the hospital, illuminated by the harsh light of fluroescent bulbs.

The muted grey and purple carpet welcomes me as I continue through the well-known maze, en route to my destination on the first floor.

As I turn from the corridor and arrive in the windowed main lobby, or the Galleria as it has been aptly named, I am startled by something which is most familiar and comforting, yet strangely - out of place.

White twinkle lights. Garlands festooning every bare entrance way, every naked stairwell. Turning, I look outside and nearly do a double take: the entire main entrance is lined with trees which are dripping with more white... twinkle... lights. Oh my.

Is this for real? Rubbing my eyes, I think I must be dreaming. Halloween was three days ago. Seriously? Already?

Are you ready?

3 comments:

TnT Bingham said...

holy cow! the little white lights sound kind of nice, but Christmas in less than two months makes me kind of start to have a panic attack! (as much as I love it, no, I am not ready!)

Your Halloween fun looks great! I LOVE the wigs for both you and Dave! HILARIOUS! What a fun lady you are!

Also, it warmed my heart hearing about your family weekend with the Marchants. =) Love you!

SBrooks said...

I love Christmas, but I do prefer it starting mid to late November. The Targets here are in full throttle of festive music playin down the isles. It really isn't that far away I guess but I agree with you! I guess it gives the mundane something a bit more cheerful.

Shera said...

You are an amazing writer. Your visual imagery is beautiful. I honestly admire your talent.