Picture it, if you will:
Lounging in the car with the windows all the way down;
Gazing up at a bright, star-speckled sky;
Listening to a young couple chat softly on the back porch;
Feeling the cool breeze sweep over a warm, summer night;
Smelling the distinct, enticing aroma of an late-evening BBQ;
Hearing the melodic staccato rhythm of a million croaking frogs,
as if they were playing a sweet duet with the blinking orange hazard lights;
Waving local passerby to ease past my dead vehicle;
Lounging in the car with the windows all the way down;
Gazing up at a bright, star-speckled sky;
Listening to a young couple chat softly on the back porch;
Feeling the cool breeze sweep over a warm, summer night;
Smelling the distinct, enticing aroma of an late-evening BBQ;
Hearing the melodic staccato rhythm of a million croaking frogs,
as if they were playing a sweet duet with the blinking orange hazard lights;
Waving local passerby to ease past my dead vehicle;
Thanking two lovely offers for assistance, as I covered a twitching eye -
begging it to cease the unceasing throbbing from an irriated contact;
Wondering why, why, why did the warning light not come on?
begging it to cease the unceasing throbbing from an irriated contact;
Wondering why, why, why did the warning light not come on?
Checking my wristwatch for the current time,
only to realize that a few, scant minutes had passed
since my urgent phone call
to my dear husband,
kindly requesting him to bring gas...
presently*!
Was this all just a Midsummer Night's Dream?
Nope, I would not be so lucky.
Was this all just a Midsummer Night's Dream?
Nope, I would not be so lucky.
Just for the record - this has NEVER happened to me before.
*pres·ent·ly
adv. (Archaic At once; immediately.)
5 comments:
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry it finally had to happen to YOU. I hope Dave got there as soon as possible and that your eye calmed down!
Thank heavens for husbands when you really need them!
Love ya,
Mom
Du-oh! (Can you hear the Simpson's there?) As my boys would say - "OOOOSH". A sign for brain lacking at our house. I have not ran out of gas but have rescued many and am glad you were serenaded by the wonderful frogs. I think that would have freaked me right out!
Sooo sorry. On the bright side, you got to see the stars and take the time to listen to nature. When you talk about the frogs singing I can picture them singing "and then kiss the girl" (Little Mermaid). Too bad you weren't with Dave when it happened, that would have been romantic..... loved your poem about it.
You may never have run out of gas before in the vehicle for which you were responsible, but you have waited stranded on the side of the road due to an empty gas tank! Remember when we learned the gas gauge on my car was broken and we waited for 2 hours or more with no one stopping to help us (not even the cops!!!) I just remember being so cold! --Thank heavens for reasonably priced cell phones and their ability to save us in situations like this! (that we weren't lucky enough-or wise enough-to have back then) So sorry you got stuck (again).
Your blog is such entertaining reading!!! I love you so much, girl!
Oh yeah, and now that I reside back in a humid, steamy east coast, gardenlike place again, I marvel at the accounts of your being cold in the summertime! =)
My goodness! I hope you weren't too far away from home. Sounds like there are still good people out there willing to give assistance.
Post a Comment