Friday, September 12, 2008

Funny Story/Friday Contest!

Everyone loves Friday, right? Well, to make this special day that much better, I wanted to sponsor a fun, little contest for my local readers*! Reach back in your minds and try to recall something funny that happened to you, someone you know or even an absolute stranger. You have one week to submit your funny story in the Comments section of this post. An esteemed panel of judges will make the winning selection.

But wait - what about the prize? Well, I figured that super funny people deserve something fabulous - so I'll give you a choice of one of my world famous (well - at least in Everett) desserts. A collage of my creations can be found below:
  • Strawberry Yogurt Cake (the name sounds way too healthy, but I can tell you that it garnered a $65 winning bid in our YW auction, so you be the judge!)
  • Chocolate Mousse Piroutte Cake (a picture is posted in the collage below)
  • Cheesecake-filled Dark Chocolate Cupakes (do I really need to say more?)
  • Apple spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Fudge frosting (these are a new addition to my baking collection)

Once the winner is decided, I will contact you for your address and determine the best time to deliver it to your house. How's that for service?!

*Sadly (& obviously), I have to limit this to my local readers... for now. Someday, I may figure out a good way to deliver my desserts so that they are in one piece and still fresh. Nobody likes mashed, dry cake parts in a box, right?

So... get to thinking and get to posting - and stay tuned for the results next week!

12 comments:

wandering nana said...

I love your new look...help I've wanted to change mine for a while but not sure how. Hmm.... a funny story. Why can't I remember any, oh yeah, I"M OLD!!!

Tymon said...

Well since nobody has posted a funny story I figure my odds are good. In fact...I think I'll post this story to my blog tomorrow;

I'm in the shower with my three year old the other day singing a beautiful rendition of one of the great classics...er...the ABC's, and my boy looks up and asks, "Dad, can you be nice?" Well I'm willing to try anything once so I say, "sure." He comes back with, "then stop singing."

wandering nana said...

This one is about my daughter... One day I was at work and get a call from her..."Mommm, mha toonge cotesombrazes"(she was crying). I went right home. I had no idea what the problem was but she was upset. She met me at the door. "What's wrong?" She then started to talk and it sounded like she was holding her tongue while she talked, but she wasn't. She kept pointing to her the inside of her mouth. As I looked I noticed that her tongue was pulled to the side of her mouth my her top molars. She had some how hooked her tongue on her braces. By now her sisters had come home and we were all trying to help but we were laughing so hard it made it tough. She kept telling us not to laugh and then she was laughing and crying. After about 10 minutes she finally got her tongue unhooked. I know it was mean to laugh but we couldn't help it.

SaraRobinson said...

ok...Iknow I'm not local and this may not be funny so much as cute.

We were all driving somewhere and the girls were talking about pets and Hannah (age 4) started to talk about how her teacher has a pet lizard in her class and my husband was trying o get her to say lizard not lizzer. After about 4 or 5 tries she finally said "salamander!"

tearese said...

no fair!

Tamara said...

Okay...this isn't a funny story. Just something funny I saw on my commute to work. A guy riding a motorcycle passed me wearing a T-shirt that said, "There is room for all God's creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes".

SBrooks said...

Seriously? When are ya coming South to Arizona. Those treats look like stress busters and must haves to me!

Stacey said...

You know I love your desserts so I've been trying to think of the funniest thing that has ever happened to me, but I can never think of funny stories when I need them!

Here's one that happened to my husband at work:

One day he went into the bathroom and when he looked over, there was a man going to the bathroom in the stall next to him, but his feet were facing the wall. He was stradling the toilet seat to go to the bathroom. He thought it was so funny that he memorized the shoes to figure out who it was. The next time the guy went to the bathroom, my husband got up and went too so he could see what the guy did with his pants. Sure enough, he takes them off and hangs them on the hook so he can go potty then he sits down and goes.

Tawnya said...

I have so many funny stories. Here's the first one that comes to mind... when I was about 14, I was shutting my friends mom's minivan sliding door and I noticed the door was a little stuck, so I pulled really hard and ended up pulling the entire door off her mini van. Seriously. Her mom was inside the house at the time, so I desperately tried to re-attach the door to her car, but no such luck. Can you imagine??? I had to go in and tell her that I pulled the door off her car. She didn't believe me, of course, until she came out and saw it herself. I was humiliated. Lets just say far worse things have happened to me than tripping at girl's camp.

nomadicspud said...

I wanted to add something funny but how do you compete with a tongue getting stuck in braces or pulling a door off a minivan?!?!? You all have had some funny happenings in life. Here is my sorry attempt. . .

The story would have to start when I was in nursery at 2 or 3 yrs old. When my parents came to get me I told them, "I bited Todd!" As you can tell I bit a boy named Todd. Fast forward about 12 years and he got his revenge. In Sunday school when I was 14 or 15 we had a new boy move into the ward. It was his first day. I stood up to say something and then went to sit back down, you guessed it, Todd had pulled the chair out from underneath me and I went down, my dress flying up to my waist. In his defense I really don't think he did it to be mean (I think he was rearranging chairs). And no this was not my most embarrassing moment. I had actually mostly forgotten all about this story until 2 years ago at my 10 year HS reunion when I sat at the same table as this 'new boy' in the ward, our spouses and 2 other couples. He brought up the story and of course it had to be retold. I must make some very interesting first impressions.

Mindy Hales said...

Maybe I am too late to post, but here it is...

I was crossing the street on Montlake and Pacific in the U-District on my way into work one morning and if you know anything about that area at 8 in the morning you know that there is a lot of traffic. So, in order to get from the parking lot to the hospital you have to cross once and then wait on a little island in the middle of the street before crossing again. Well, one morning I was waiting on the island for the light to turn so that I could cross again and all of a sudden it felt really drafty and windy. When I looked down my shirt was around my ankles right in the middle of busy morning traffic. I quickly bent down, pulled up my skirt and walked as fast as I could into the hospital hoping that one I knew saw my tush.

angelalois said...

wow, these stories are all so good. I don't think I have a prayer of winning. Plus maybe I'm too late?

I was just going to tell my story I posted on my blog about when I decided to walk w/the bebe to safeway and I remembered someone had ditched a cart outside the apartments next door, so I thought I'd take it back! then on the way, I found ANOTHER cart ditched on the side of the road. So there I am, squirmy baby strapped to my chest, with two nestled safeway carts, crossing highway 99 (losing control of the carts more than I'm keeping control of the carts). so yeah. but I made it! and I'm thinking of billing Safeway for the time & labor :-)