Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Giving Thanks Continually

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest
appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
- John F. Kennedy

I love the Thanksgiving season because it reminds me to reflect on the blessings in my life. Throughout the year, I try to remember the importance of giving thanks, but I don't always do so well as I'd hope. As I was reading Linda's List of 50 (and her subsequent Thanksgiving Challenge), I thought it would be good to come up with 50 of my own.

50 Things for Which I Give Thanks:

  1. My testimony of the Gospel
  2. My husband
  3. My family
  4. New friends
  5. Old Friends
  6. The ward’s young women
  7. Education
  8. Knowledge
  9. A comfortable home
  10. Chocolate
  11. Power of prayer & faith
  12. Lifelong learning
  13. Good books
  14. The sacred nature of libraries
  15. Health & safety
  16. Living in Seattle
  17. Rainy, cool days
  18. A hard workout
  19. Lessons, stories or people who motivate me to be a better person
  20. Making goals
  21. Learning new skills
  22. Learning from mistakes
  23. Introspection
  24. Recognizing God’s love for me
  25. Having a good attitude
  26. Helping others
  27. Sharing talents
  28. Long talks with friends
  29. Cooking and baking good food
  30. Homemade rolls
  31. Music
  32. Getting things organized
  33. A thorough cleaning
  34. Knowing that change is not only good, but essential
  35. Not sweating the small stuff
  36. Feeling the spirit
  37. Moments of inspiration
  38. Moments of creativity
  39. Beautiful vistas
  40. The roar of the ocean
  41. Solitude
  42. Learning to love the imperfections
  43. The opportunity to repent
  44. The gift of forgiveness
  45. Receiving good news, fun mail or a surprise call/visit
  46. Celebrating accomplishments (big & small)
  47. Seeing the best in others
  48. The ability to laugh at myself
  49. Savoring each day
  50. Realizing what’s important

Now that I've finished my list, what are the blessings in your life this year? If you feel inspired to list 50 things, or just 1 - take a moment to give thanks. Better yet, try to extend the exercise beyond Turkey Day and make it a regular habit.

3 comments:

TnT Bingham said...

This was wonderful! It reminds me how THANKFUL I am for you and the role you've played in my life. I love you a gazillion million forever! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Dave.

wandering nana said...

What a great list. It reminds me of even more things that I didn't say. I sometimes just stop and ask "Why am I so blessed?" When I see things in the world today it makes me realize even more how thankful I should be and how I should be more helpful. I'm grateful to you for your friendship, especially in those hard days when we first moved here.

Chelle said...

I love good friends that make me feel loved.