Friday, November 16, 2007

Fasting has Its Benefits

In my work, I constantly scan through hundreds of medical research articles each day. Some are interesting, some are dull and some are completely over my head. And then something jumps out that piques my interest, both personally and professionally.

Such was the case this morning as I was viewing the latest additions to my RSS reader. As I was running down the list of articles, this abstract suddenly caught my attention:

"Regular Fasting May Improve CVD Risk"
November 14, 2007 (Orlando) — Regular fasting among Mormons may account, at least in part, for their lower risk of cardiovascular disease, a new study suggests [1]. According to researchers in Utah, fasting was the strongest predictor of reduced heart disease among people who identified themselves as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints (LDS), but also among people who routinely fasted for nonreligious reasons.

Dr Benjamin Horne (Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, UT) presented the results of the study during the American Heart Association (AHA) 2007 Scientific Sessions last week. In an interview with heartwire, Horne explained that studies dating back three decades have indicated that the LDS population lives longer than non-LDS Americans, a finding attributed partly to the fact that the religion forbids smoking. "But smoking isn't the only risk factor for CVD [cardiovascular disease], and because the lower risk is so substantial, we felt there could be other factors," he said. (For the full article, click
here.)

Obviously, those that are LDS know the spiritual blessings that come from fasting. With the possibility of added physical benefits from fasting, we should be further motivated to participate as we strive to live healthier lives.

I will now get off my soap box...

2 comments:

TnT Bingham said...

hey chelle,

I've had fun checking out your blog, and thanks for pointing out shera's blog for me. The only bad thing about reading about you (and enjoying your great writing style =)) is that it makes me miss you.
Love ya! Tiffany

wandering nana said...

Wow...Fasting has an added benefit. Who would've thought.I think you need to get on the soap box more often., especially when it comes to blogging and that lawyer you know. It is very beneficial.