Lowell Park in Fall
As a reward to Benj for staying dry all day (including at preschool), the kiddos and I piled in the car to celebrate with a late afternoon trip to one of our favorite parks, Lowell. Sweetening the deal, I had leftovers slated for dinner so we could stay even longer.
And boy did we savor this beautiful afternoon! Swinging our hearts out in the filtered sunshine of a mid-October afternoon. Flying head-first down the big green slide, with magic wand (stick) and unearthed treasure (rock) in hand. Kicking up bark in our wake as we push the merry-go-round at warp speed. Carefully making our way across the vast chasm on our trusty blue bridge.
It was such a treat, such an awesome day. It was one of those perfect days that you see in the movies.
The movie moment ended promptly when, walking to the car (read: dragging the kids, kicking and screaming from their beloved park), Benj informed me he pooped. When we first got there. Over an hour ago. I was so busy chasing after both of them and making sure neither plummeted to their death from a gutsy highwire act, I didn't notice.
The magic was officially gone.
I'll spare the details of the gruesome aftermath, and oh my, yes, it was gruesome. Just sit on this little nugget to fully appreciate my predicament and a little glimpse into the story of my life: I ran out of wipes. Gruesome, folks.
Someday, I'm sure I'll look back on this and laugh - maybe till I cry - but man, not that day. Nope. No laughing. Not on that picturesque, 65-degree October afternoon. You may wonder what it's like to have a child who is still struggling to potty-train at five. While we are making baby steps every day, I can assure you it is most definitely NOT a walk in the park!
No comments:
Post a Comment