Wow. This life. It's crazy.
My usual routine is wake up, run around like a chicken with my head cut off ALL DAY LONG, get all of my people to sleep, and then start my second life. Oh, and occasionally I slip in a few hours to sleep too.
Tonight, as I was working I had an epiphany. I actually have two lives. By day, I'm a wife/mother and at dusk, I'm a night owl/librarian. Many times, the two lives cross. That's when the madness really begins to settle in.
But anyway, that was my epiphany. I have a crazy life, which often sends me to the brink of my sanity, but I love it just the same. As for us, here's the latest and greatest:
Dave - is amazing. He has had quite a year. Last summer he rode the STP (Seattle-to-Portland) 210-mile bike ride in about 10 hours... months later, we found he accomplished that with a broken rib! This July, after months of preparation and training, he took some of his Young Men up Mt. Baker. One of the boys's mothers told me the experience was life-changing for him. So, yeah, that's pretty awesome. So proud of him for making such a difference in people's lives. He's also our consummate clothes-folder, dish-doer, lawn-mower and guitar-playing dynamo. In the last few weeks, he's experienced some significant health challenges and while those physical issues have been difficult, he still does things to make me smile. Other random things:
- Books I'm Reading: "Gone Girl", "Five Days at Memorial" and "My Story by Elizabeth Smart" (I've found the last one particularly compelling)
- Fun Places We've Been This Summer: Hiking in Paradise Valley (pic at left); a gazillion trips to area parks; the library; Manzanita, OR; and Benjamin's idea of heaven - Remlinger Farms.
- Coolest Discovery: the best chocolate-chip recipe ever. Seriously.
- Major Accomplishments: getting Benjamin out of diapers. I should win a Nobel Peace Prize for this. It's been an epic battle. I've researched. I've experimented. I've gone back and done more research. Hours of my life spent in the pursuit of training someone to successfully use a toilet. Sounds crazy, but I'm giddy at the thought of not having to change a 5-year-old's diaper. Also, I sang a solo in church a few days ago. Yes, you read that right. Me. Solo. Me. Mind-blown. That little accomplishment was my version of summitting Everest, folks. It's the little things that matter most.
Life is indeed beautiful, and oh, so sweet.
"Find out where your joy resides, and give it a voice far beyond singing. For to miss the joy, is to miss it all." -Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:
Post a Comment