Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Wish

(Disclaimer - Golly, I'm long-winded)

Last night, I was lying in bed, listening to Dave dreaming. I got to bed earlier than usual - 10:45 pm - but for some crazy reason, my mind was racing and not ready for rest. I wished for sleep, but I was thinking of New Year's goals, work report deadlines, a missing piano wheel, personal revelation, bouncy balls and a year's worth of blog posts to update, to name a few of my nightime ruminations. Benjamin woke up about 30 minutes later. After lying him down in his makeshift "bed" in our bedroom, I finally drifted off to sleep to the rhythm of his soft breathing.

I wish for a lot of things:
  • I wish for MORE willpower.
  • I wish for MORE hours in the day.
  • I wish that I will never forget the feeling of cuddling with my 17-month-old, sleeping boy, his warm cheek smashed against mine.
  • I wish that I would never hurt someone's feelings or lose a friendship.
  • I wish I had MORE faith.
  • I wish I had LESS doubt.
  • I wish for a lifetime supply of GOOD chocolate - that does not make you fat, of course.
  • I wish I could get my blog updated with the thousands of pictures and stories I have to tell.
  • I wish I could translate my idea for a book onto paper... and get past the first page.
  • I wish that I would always remember to express heartfelt gratitude to those that do so much for me.
  • I wish that I would truly savor the abundant blessings in my life.
  • And of course, I would always wish for more wishes. :)

Speaking of wishes, my Birthday Celebration Week is here again. This year's "celebration wish list" is simple - do something each day that brings me joy.

SUNDAY
My extended family converged on our house. We ate fruit, spinach salad, whole-wheat Hawaiian pizza and strawberry yogurt cake. It was crazy madness to have 15 people in our house, including eight wild grandkids running pell-mell, but you know, that's family. I love them, even though I sometimes felt like I was *this close* to pulling all of my hair out. So, Day #1 of my Birthday Celebration was the Joy of Family.

MONDAY
This day brought work, and it's hard to do anything too joyful while busting our intense medical information for sick patients and busy doctors. But, after work, I kicked it into high gear at the gym and walked out of there on a sweaty, endorphin high. Day #2 of my Birthday Celebration was the Joy of Pushing Yourself Beyond the Norm.

TUESDAY
Where did Tuesday go? In between laundry and dishes, I whisked Benjamin off to the magical Land of Storytime, as any good Librarian Mommy would. We sang the Beanbag Song, listened to a story about a mommy & baby animals, then plugged our noses (thanks to some dog poo that had been tracked right into the middle of story time - though not by us!). I took Benjamin over to look at their wide array of board books in the colorful children's area. The minute we sat down for a sweet moment of quiet reading, Benjamin high-tailed it to the kiddie computers on the other side of the library. Ugh... oh well - I tried. Since we were so close, we hopped in the car and drove a block over to the Centennial Trail. Otherise known as another grand adventure with great expectations, which sort of *flopped*. We bundled up, multi-blanketed Benjamin in the BOB and I in workout clothes and a warm hat, and started out on my little run. Thanks to a wide arsenal of Teddy Grahams, fruit snacks, string cheese, and various drinks, we made it back alive. But the screaming, tantrums and lungeing fits made for a less-than-stellar run. BUT - still, Day #3 of my Birthday Celebration was a split one: Joy of Spending Time with The Boy/Enduring To the End. And contrary to my description, it was fun to get out and do some stuff.

WEDNESDAY
Lunch with Linda & Piano Moving Day! While the idea of going out to lunch at this cute cafe on a sunny Seattle day with one of my favorite people sounded divine, it was not quite so perfect. I'm not one to complain, but the customer service was just bad - and it was at a place that I have always enjoyed in the past. But, when we actually got our salads, and then got the right ingredients in said salads, it was a delicious meal and a fun trip downtown. Later that evening, we arranged to get the piano moved from Bracan & Rachel's house to our humble abode. It took a bit of quick coordination, a big box truck and some strong muscles, but the one-wheeled piano is finally home again. Day #4 is another splitter: Joy of Good Food/Joy of Music (from a 17-Month-Olds Pounding Fingers). Lovin' that joy, people.

This brings us to today. It's Thursday, and I'm sure more moments of joy are right around the corner - the trick is, sometimes you have to look kind of hard to discover them!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Happy birthday Michelle! I've always thought you were so cool for celebrating your birthday all week. I need to do that too :) Because I always feel like my birthdays come and go and are no big deal.

You got a new piano? What is it? We just did the whole piano moving thing too (we just moved). 24 slippery stairs in the pouring rain (at our old place). It was quite the adventur, thank goodness we had the Pedigos move it.