Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Tulip Run


On Your Mark... Get Set... Go!

The Skagit Valley Tulip Run celebrated it's silver anniversary this year. Although I have not done the run even since it began, I really enjoy this particular race and this year was my fourth time participating in the event.

This year, Dave and I talked about training and running in it together. No dice: he had an 8-hour CPR cert course that day. Then, I ran the idea past my walking bud, Michelle. No dice: she works on Saturdays and couldn't get the day off. Finally, I mentioned it to my MIL and SILs. And I finally found some people that wanted and could do the run! This was good because my boss' 85-year-old mother got wind of me training for the race and she knitted a special yellow hat for Benjamin because she was worried he would get cold.


Race day was beautiful but pretty cold. Due to a delay in our caravan, we got to the Skagit Valley Airport minutes before the race. My SIL Rachel ran in and grabbed everyone's bibs, then she headed for the 5-mile run. I was going to do that and was training for that - until I discovered that I had pneumonia two weeks prior to the race. So, I opted for the 2-mile fun run. Which was fine by me.

So, our 2-miler group consisted of:
Me and Benjamin
My mom
Dave's mom & dad
Dave's grandmother
Dave's sister, her husband and their two sons
Dave's other sister's (the 5-miler) two daughters

Initially, I walked the course with my mom while pushing Benjamin's stroller - and carrying him. He was not a fan of the stroller at first. After another 2-miler caught up with us, I left the walkers after about 1/2 mile into the race and started running with the stroller (and Benjamin strapped in now). I ended up running/walking as I dodged tons of walkers, strollers and meandering talkers through a gravel path through the woods. When we finally emerged onto the road, I was able to get a bit more room and pick up the pace.


My final time was 25:12, which was AOK as I had to walk for a good stretch of the run; it felt good to finish and get a nice run in too. Plus, Benjamin fell asleep shortly after I started running. The best was the smorgasbord of food available post-run: bagels, cream cheese, whole wheat bread, juice, bananas, cheese cubes, crackers, gummy bears, Cheetos, chocolate donuts, raspberry cream-filled donuts. Yeah, gummy bears and donuts for after a race - what an awesome event, huh?!

After the race, my mom took us out to lunch at Calico Cupboard (yum!) and then we swung by Super Wal-mart before heading back to hang out at her house until our Open House was over. It was a very lovely Saturday.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Next year for sure. Glad you had fun!!