Golf & Auction
Friday was the big day: we held the charity golf tournament and silent auction at Snohomish Golf Course to benefit my mom's cancer treatment fund. It's only been in the works for the last 6 weeks and at times I wondered if we would even be able to pull it off. Thanks to a lot of hard work, a little luck, many hands and loads of faith, things came together with relatively few hitches.
It was a success with 40 players and gobs of awesome donations for the auction, but it was a very long day out on the greens in 90 degree heat for me. This pregnant lady doesn't do well in heat, so it was a bit challenging; I was sweaty hot mess by 11am. While some tolerated the heat better than I, everyone was thirsty. After setting things up, I made several trips to get bottled water... and I may have also stopped at Pilchuck Drive-In for one of their famous shakes. OK. I did - and I seriously considered bathing in that creamy, chocolate-malty goodness.
*Our Motley Planning Crew*
Random pics of helpers, family, golfers & one darn cute Ellie
And here's a BIG thank-you to all of the people who donated time, money, talents, goods and anything else in support of our efforts. I'm not a big fan of this trite phrase, but it really did "take a village" to pull this gargantuan event off!
Lake Stevens Sprint Triathlon
Last year, I competed in this local triathlon and while it was tough and like nothing I'd ever done before, I felt so proud of myself for simply finishing. When Dave told he was a little jealous watching from the sidelines last year - wishing that he could have been out there too - I told him to sign up for the 2012 event even though we couldn't do it together. He didn't have a ton of time to train (maybe a month?); the cycling would be no problem for him (9 miles in the race and he does a 40-mile wide on weekends just for fun), but he began to run (which is at the bottom of his 'favorites list') AND he taught himself proper swimming technique via YouTube. And you know what? He totally rocked it - which would not come as a shock to anyone that knows him. And as I sat, taking my turn with Benjamin on the sidelines, I have to admit I was a little jealous that I wasn't out there with him. Well, everything except the swim...
The big finish - 1:17 (3rd in his division)! Way better than my 1:33 from last year... but again, no surprise. I'm so proud of him for putting the effort in, facing the daunting task of learning some new skills and competing in the race. It was a very good day as Benjamin & I cheered for him as the crossed that big blue FINISH line.
No comments:
Post a Comment