Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Walk in the Park... er, uh... Highway?

How cool are we? (picture courtesy of S.W.)

Last Saturday, we took the youth from our ward up the winding, scenic Mountain Loop Highway to the winter park area past Verlot. Normally, this area is just part of the highway during the warmer months of the year. But, every winter a long section of the road is closed to car traffic and miraculously transforms into a winter wonderland for cross-country skiers, snowmobilers and snowshoers; the latter group was where we fell.

As we extricated ourselves from the cars and pulled on the necessary gear, a light snow started to fall. Tall, snow-laden trees and low-lying brush cover either side of the highway and Big Four Mountain juts straight into the sky as the roaring, icy Stillaguamish river rushes along the road... picture it, if you will. It is the perfect winter setting for a (snowshoe) walk in the woods.

After the group, who were generally new to the activity, strapped on their shoes we commenced with the 2-mile trek to the Big Four picnic area. Minor issues on the way included one faulty strap on a snowshoe, many cold hands, a few sore muscles and one pair of ill-fitting boots that caused some unfortunately nasty blisters. However, we managed to reach our destination in one piece; the once idyllic covered picnic area had turned into an A-Frame style igloo, complete with a mini snow cave, tunnels and skating rink (the floor). While Dave fired up his supersonic stove for hot chocolate, everyone dined on frozen cookies, mashed sandwiches, chips and Gatorade. If that is not a feast for champions, I don't know what is!

While snow is beautiful to look at through the cozy warmth of your windowed-homes, it begins to decrease in beauty and appeal when you start to lose feeling in your extremities. Such was the case with our group, so we finished eating, warmed our hands over the small flames of the camp stove, packed up and began the long walk back to the cars.
There is a phrase a good friend likes to use when describing one who is tired, hungry and ready to be done with any particularly taxing activity. As we brought up the rear of our group, watching the leaders and kids pick up the pace, Dave leaned over to me and whispered: "the horse smells the barn!". With a slight advantage of losing some altitude (300-400 ft), I think we cut our travel time down by half. After a quick pose at the gate for a lovely, snowy photo op, everyone walked gingerly, yet briskly to the cars and headed for home. Even with numb fingers and tired muscles, I think everyone had fun... I think!

9 comments:

Stacey said...

I had fun! Thanks for all the preparation you both put into this activity.

nomadicspud said...

It was so fun!!! even with the blisters. You two made a lot of preparations that I'm grateful for. Dave really is Mr. REI as one of the other leaders said.

tearese said...

hi! I came her from Heidi's blog...now that I see your picture I know who you are!
Thats crazy how quickly the youth in that ward change; I only recognized two kids in that picture!Only one was in YW when I was a leader too.

Anne said...

Hmmm... makes me cold just thinking about it but it still sounds like a fun adventure.

wandering nana said...

I finally get to tell you how beautiful the picture is at the top of your blog. WOW. Wish I could have been with you but I would have been the frozen body you would have to have dragged along after a mile... aren't you glad I was moving???

Chelle said...

Thanks, Nana. I'm glad you like the picture - unfortunately that is not one of mine; Brett Webb took it when we snowshoed to Skyline Lake in December 2006.

And, if you had come on the YW/YM trip, I would have been more than happy to drag your frozen body if you got tired - better cardiovascular workout!

Chelle said...

Stacey & Sara - I'm so glad you guys had fun. Honestly, we didn't do too much... it was actually very easy to "pull off". Word has it that Nana may want to go, so perhaps we will have to do it again. Next week, Sara? :)

Whimsy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by The Creamery earlier... hopefully you'll become a regular? I had no idea you were blogging. But now you won't be able to get rid of me!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Sounds like fun! We went snow shoeing with some friends last Mon up millcreek canyon. It was a lot of fun, but I still think skiing is more my thing. Lucy was asleep in the backpack most of the time. Speaking of skiing, did you go skiing for your b-day? Yesterday? Sorry, we are a little behind. Hope you had a great birthday!