Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Two Months - A Review

Two months have passed since I last posted... which could only mean that we have been so busy that there has been no time for posting! As a way to catch up quickly, I'll post some pics from our latest adventures - enjoy!
  • Leavenworth
    Dave's hike to the top of Dirty Face Peak
    Dave took off early on Friday morning for a rigorous hike with an elevation gain of 4,000 vertical feet. Along the way, he shared the trail with a meandering deer. From one of the pictures, you can see the evidence of last year's intense forest fires, which charred the landscape. The pictures will give you an idea of the amazing views he took in on his way to the top.
    Marchant Family "Reunion" in Plain, WA
    The cabin we rented was gorgeous, brand-new and WAY TOO small for 17 people! Nevertheless, we all managed to have some fun by hiking, swimming, playing games, eating and surviving on very little sleep. Besides the sleeping quarters and a little incident with the hot tub, everyone seemed to enjoy our time in the "Just Plain Get-A-Way". June birthdays are plentiful for the Marchant side of the family. While in Leavenworth, we celebrated the births of Rhees, Adyson, Owen, David, Dad & Rachel. For their 1st birthdays, Rhees & Ady each got a personal birthday cake to attack. Because we didn't have the usual highchair to experience the massive destruction, we taped plastic garbage bags on the large kitchen floor and let them go - needless to say, it was quite an entertaining party!
    Icicle Creek Canyon
    On Saturday, we headed into Leavenworth for lunch at this great Mexican restaurant. Afterwards, we drove up the road along Icicle Creek Canyon, heading for the trailhead to the Enchantments. It was a bit of a drive, so we had ample opportunities for stopping to capture the beautiful views of Icicle River. There were a couple places where the rapids were really roaring, which made for some great pictures!
  • Summitting Pilchuck
    Mom and I had planned to go out to lunch on a particularly nice Saturday, so Dave grabbed his dad and Jon for a hike up to Mt. Pilchuck. I think that everyone had a great time, but you be the judge. Dave took his ice ax, which proved to be useful when he decided to glissade down from the summit. I later looked up pictures of this term online; I'm glad I wasn't there as he slid down the slope of ice and snow, self-arresting with that little ice ax!
  • Pinnacle & Bear Lakes
    On a Saturday morning a few weeks ago, Dave and I headed up the Mountain Loop Highway to the Pinnacle & Bear Lakes trailhead. Unfortunately, due to a severe wash-out, we had to park our car a mile down the forest service road and hike in to the trailhead. It was a beautiful day, but the area was very "buggy" so that proved to be a challenge... even with a constant dousing of bug juice. On our way to the lake area, there was still some soggy snow to slosh through. No matter what obstacles we face during the hike, alpine lakes do not disappoint - and this was no exception. The lake were crystal clear and the views of neighboring mountains were astounding.
  • What was I thinking? (The Berry-Dairy Days 10K Race)
    OK, I will be the first to admit that I am NOT a runner. In fact, in 8th grade I almost threw up after running a 1.5 mile timed run (for a grade) in PE. So, in light of that, it is hard to imagine where I came up with the wild idea to train for a race. And not just a 2 mile or 5K race, but a 10K (6.2 miles, according to the officials). Much to our surprise, we met up with Lyle Smith and family (Edmonds ward); Bonnie (who is a runner) and her daughters were racing too. When I finished the race, one of them commented, "You don't even look like you just ran over 6 miles." I think she was being nice - the pictures don't lie. To be honest, even though it was a pretty tough feat for a non-runner such as I, I actually enjoyed it and got a small bite of the "runner's bug." We'll see if the bite continues to bug me...
  • Mariners vs. Blue Jays @ Safeco Field
    Ben got tickets for the family to go see the Mariners play the Toronto Blue Jays. Besides the fact that we were seated in the unofficial cheering section for Toronto, the game was a lot of fun. It would be hard to argue that Matthew had the most fun; he jumped from lap to lap, giggling and enjoying himself thoroughly! With "Thunderstruck" playing over the loudspeakers, JJ Putz came on the field and we watched on the edge of our seats as the Seattle Mariners managed to pull off the win.
  • Terrin (& Dad's) Birthday Cake
    Back by popular demand, we have another racetrack-inspired cake to display (see above). According to Dave, this was the best-tasting cake I have made to date... and that is saying something if you realize just how many of my cakes I've made. As a side note, I prefer the figure 8 over the #2 track.
  • Granite Mountain

The pictures really say it all.




No comments: